By Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,
Selected by way of selection as a 2012 notable educational Title
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A better half to ladies within the historical World provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of newly-commissioned essays from fashionable students at the learn of ladies within the old world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of readings to handle the examine of ladies within the historical world
- Explores a large variety of issues with regards to ladies in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess idea; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the family members, the nation, and faith; costume and Adornment; lady Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; girls in overdue Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and lots of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of old issues of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions in relation to ladies in antiquity
- Includes contributions from a few of the so much famous students linked to the examine of ladies in antiquity
Read Online or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World PDF
Similar ancient & classical books
Dio Cassius (Cassius Dio), ca. one hundred fifty– 235 CE, used to be born at Nicaea in Bithynia in Asia Minor. at the loss of life of his father (Roman governor of Cilicia) he went in a hundred and eighty to Rome, entered the Senate, and lower than the emperor Commodus was once an suggest. He held excessive places of work, turning into an in depth good friend of a number of emperors.
Arion's Lyre examines how Hellenistic poetic tradition tailored, reinterpreted, and reworked Archaic Greek lyric via a posh means of textual, cultural, and artistic reception. taking a look at the ways that the poetry of Sappho, Alcaeus, Ibycus, Anacreon, and Simonides was once preserved, edited, and skim through Hellenistic students and poets, the ebook indicates that Archaic poets frequently glance very various within the new social, cultural, and political atmosphere of Hellenistic Alexandria.
The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius are precious today--as they've been over the centuries--as an inexhaustible resource of knowledge. And as one of many 3 most crucial expressions of Stoicism, this can be a necessary textual content for everybody drawn to old faith and philosophy. but the readability and straightforwardness of the work's type are misleading.
The Roman poet and satirist Persius (3462 CE) used to be particular between his friends for lampooning literary and social conventions from a extraordinarily Stoic perspective. A curious amalgam of mocking wit and philosophy, his Satires are rife with violent metaphors and ugly imagery and convey little crisis for the reader’s entertainment or figuring out.
- Percy Bysshe Shelley: A Literary Life
- Eduard Zeller: Philosophie- und Wissenschaftsgeschichte im 19. Jahrhundert
- Strabo: Geography, Books 10-12 (Loeb Classical Library No. 211)
- Apologetics In The Roman Empire
- From Scholars to Scholia: Chapters in the History of Ancient Greek Scholarship (Trends in Classics - Supplementary Volumes)
Additional info for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World
C. dealing with Palestine and Egypt I. New York. P. Elephantine Rubensohn, O. ) 1907. Aegyptische Urkunden aus den Königlichen Museen in Berlin: Griechische Urkunden, Sonderheft. Elephantine-Papyri. Berlin. P. , and Meyer, P. M. ) 1910. Griechische Papyri im Museum des Oberhessischen Geschichtsvereins zu Giessen. Pt. I, nos. 1–35. Leipzig and Berlin. P. Münch. , and Shelton, J. C. ) 1986. Griechische Urkundenpapyri der Bayerischen Staatsbibliothek München, vol. 3, Part I. Stuttgart. P. Oxy. Oxyrhynchus Papyrus.
A. Donohue is the Rhys Carpenter Professor of Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology at Bryn Mawr College. Among her publications on the history and historiography of classical art are Xoana and the Origins of Classical Sculpture (1988), Greek Sculpture and the Problem of Description (2005), and a volume co-edited with M. D. Fullerton on Ancient Art and Its Historiography (2003). Cristiana Franco teaches at University for Foreigners in Siena. Her research focuses on the role played by cultural representations of animal species in the process of naturalization of gender ideology in ancient cultures.
Photo: Vanni/Art Resource, NY. ) with ritual vessel. Wall painting from the West House at Akrotiri, Thera, Late Cycladic I, seventeenth century BCE. Athens, National Archaeological Museum. Photo: Erich Lessing/Art Resource, NY. 2). Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, UK. Drawing: Courtesy of the Syndics of the Fitzwilliam Museum. ” Etruscan mirror (fourth century BCE). Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, UK. Photo: Courtesy of the Syndics of the Fitzwilliam Museum. 1 Os coxa (hip bone) of an adult female, twenty-five to thirty-five years old, showing the auricular surface and pubic symphysis, features used in determining the age of adults.
A Companion to Women in the Ancient World by Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,